Local and National Policymakers, Revenue Commissioners, Repak, Local Businesses
In order to prevent unnecessary packaging there should be taxes on packaging. The revenue generated from these taxes should be ring-fenced for recycling and waste reduction measures. Packaging on products would be rated in terms of ecological footprint and taxed accordingly. This would mean higher taxes on products that have
– greater volumes/weight of packaging
– composite (mixed material) packaging; non-recyclable packaging
– packaging with toxic ingredients, etc.
Accordingly, taxes would be less on products that have
– less volumes/weight of packaging
– single material packaging; recyclable packaging
– packaging with benign ingredients, etc.
There should be no taxes on re-usable drink bottles. Re-useable bottles account for 45% of all drinks sold in Germany. These bottles are refilled 40 to 50 times, and are therefore more environmentally friendly than single-use bottles.